Hi!!! This time I am going to share about my ideal person. Kalpana Chawla whom I followed a lot. She is a very inspirational personality for me. And today is her death anniversary. I’m going to share some information about that personality.
Kalpana Chawla (March 17, 1962– February 1, 2003) was an Indo- American astronaut and the first woman of Indian origin in space. She first flew on Space Shuttle Columbia in 1997 as a mission specialist and primary roboticarm operator. In 2003, Chawla was one of the seven crew members killed in the Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster.
|Born||March 17, 1962
Karnal, Punjab, India
(now in Haryana, India)
|Died||February 1, 2003 (aged 40)Space Shuttle Columbia
Aboard over Texas, U.S.
|Alma Mater||Punjab Engineering College
University of Texas at Arlington
University of Colorado at Boulder
|Time in space||31days 14hour 54minutes|
|Selection||1994 NASA Group|
Now I am going to mention 6 things one must know about her:
1. Kalpana Chawla completed her early education in Punjab.
2. She became a naturalized US citizen in April 1991 and applied for the NASA Astronaut Corps.
3. In 1997, she became the first Indian-born woman and the second Indian person to fly in space.
4. Her second flight was also her last.
5. She was posthumously honoured with the Congressional Space Medal of Honor, NASA Space Flight Medal and NASA Distinguished Service Medal.
6. Kalpana Chawla logged 30 days, 14 hours, and 54 minutes in space over the course of her two missions.